Saturday, March 27, 2010

Site announcement!

Just a fast update while I'm buying groceries in Lusaka... We got our site assignments on Thursday evening, and I got a Luapula site!!! Which is what i hoped for. I don't have a lot of details but I do know this: I am 10k away from my nearest neighbor who is another LIFEr from another intake, and 15k away from the provincial boma where our house (and real grocery store and internet cafe)is located, apparently i have network at my site, I'm first generation so my house should be new, I live on the edge of a protected forest and have a good school nearby that I can do environmental education with (which is something else I'm really excited about). Google Mansa, which is the provincial capital that I will be right next to. It's a sweeter deal than I had even dared to hope for, honestly. The word on the street is that my villiage is really excited to have me and I'm really excited to be there. Also, Luapula is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L (pronounced Loo-ah-pool-ah, or poo-la, but I though pool was a nicer phonetic description). I can't wait to see it. We leave at 6:00 in the morning tomorrow, and it's about a 9-10 hour ride in the cruiser, but I have a feeling that I won't be wanting to come back to Lusaka that often.

Will be gone for 10 days, but will collect pictures of my new home and post them as soon as I possible can. If there's anyone out there wanting to send packages, the flat rate, ship-anywhere-in-the-world boxes are the best deal I've heard. From now on, you can send any mail, packages or otherwise, to my provincial house at Box 710150, Mansa, Luapula, Zambia. Don't forget to write air mail and par avion. And no matter what the post office will tell you, I WILL NOT get it in 5-10 days...My sister mailed a package right after I left and i still have yet to get it.

Love you all, and don't worry, I'm keeping very safe, and VERY happy. :D
xo
ash

No comments:

Post a Comment